Monday, October 15, 2012

Coffee Table Face Lift

For those of you who don't know me, you will learn quickly that I am very close with my parents. In fact, my mom is my best friend! I talk to her just about every day. And I always wish I could find ways to show her how much I appreciate all that she has and continues to do. It finally hit me one day when we were sitting around her basement talking. I noticed how beat up her coffee table was (she has had it since we were all young kids).


I pointed out how beat up it was looking in comparison to the rest of the furniture in the family room and she informed me that she just couldn't part with the table . . . it was one of her favorite furniture purchases. And there we had it . . . something special that I could do for my mom! That Saturday it was sitting on my back patio waiting to be prepped for a fabulous make-over.


I stripped all of the finish off of the top of the table and roughed up the sides. It was kind of sad to be sanding away the names of my siblings and myself that had been pressed into the table by heavy handed young writers during homework sessions! 


I stained it first. Big mistake. The stain wasn't the right color that I had in mind. It was too dark . . . not warm enough to contrast well with the black I would be painting on. So I began to re-strip the table. I also decided it would be best to flip the table upside down and paint the bottom first, then stain at the end. So I painted the base "Silhouette" black with Martha Stewart paint and then flipped over to stain the top. 


While the stain set I used a rough sanding block to rough up a few edges . . . I wanted the warmth of the wood to peek through on the bottom too. I then added a little bit of stain to the roughed up areas. I let it all dry overnight and finished up with 2 coats of polycrylic to protect it! I am quit happy with the transformation . . . I almost didn't want to give it back. 



I am pretty sure she must be loving it as much as me because I heard there will be a dresser arriving at my house for a make-over as well. And I already cannot wait to tackle it! I am so happy to have found a way to show my appreciation for my wonderful mom! 


Linking up to:
Homespun Happenings




Pin It

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog and I will surely visit again. I think thrifting is an acquired skill once you become a mother.

    http://www.belfab.net/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliment and for reading! And I completely agree with you about thrifting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! It looks so much better than the before! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend.

    ReplyDelete