Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Dressing Up a Sad Bread Box

The weather has finally gotten the memo that Spring is here and I am finally getting back to work on my to-do list. I decided to start off a little bit smaller with a simple project, re-finishing a smaller item that I found at our Goodwill store. 

It's a bread box that I found for $1.99. It was disgusting looking. In fact, I was shopping with my mom and she looked completely confused when I picked it up. I am sure she was wondering why I was purchasing something that looked like it was well past its prime. But I could already picture it in my kitchen.


Who wouldn't want this in their kitchen? 


Okay, it's pretty dirty for the kitchen. I can see why it got passed up. But I quickly got to work sanding off all the yuck and painting on a fresh start in an off white color. 


Wow! It already looks so much better. But I couldn't leave it at that. The lining still looked gross. I know, I am the only one who would have to see the inside but still . . . I like to look at something pretty. So I picked a beautiful fabric that I had on hand that would look great with the off white paint. 


I used mod podge to begin adhering it to the base and the door. 



So pretty, right? Perfect! But, I still wasn't totally happy. So I added the word "Bread" to the door. 


Still not just right, so I added some flowers that I found over at graphicsfairy.blogspot.com. Now it is perfect! It looked so good against our poor paint job in the kitchen that I have decided it is time to paint the kitchen. Perhaps I will start that after Mother's Day!


Goes to show, anything can be made beautiful again with a little creativity and a bucket of paint! :)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment