Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Perfecting a Beautiful Side Table

Last weekend my mother-in-law passed down a beautiful side table to me. The moment I set it next to my couch I was in love. The only problem with it were some scratches across the top and the fact that it didn't quite fit in with my decor. The shape was perfect but the stain was a bit honey for my taste.

See, such a beautiful table!

Love the detailing on top, just not in love with the color of the stain.

It took my husband and I about 2 hours of sanding to get all the stain off. I took special care to not wear down all the grooves on the top. Once it was all sanded down I knew exactly what I wanted to do to it. First I primed the bottom. I must apologize here for forgetting to take pictures of the work. I was very excited to finish this and my husband was in the house with our son at this point so I had only one set of hands. 

Once the primer was on the bottom I stained the top and the underside of the top. I used Minwax's Early American stain. While the stain was setting I applied an off white paint to the bottom and legs. Once all was dry I followed up with 2 coats of Minwax's Polycrilic to protect the table. 

Ta-Da!!!


I must say, I loved this table when I first got it but now I love, love, LOVE this table! It is truly a perfect fit in our living room now!


Thank you to my mother-in-law for the wonderful gift! Now to begin the thrifting hunt for a pretty lamp to accompany it.  :)

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment