The plant stand was originally a dark red with a lot of water staining on top. I started by sanding down the top so all the wood was once again even. I then roughed up the rest of the stand by lightly sanding with some 80 grit sandpaper. I then busted into a can of my new best friend, Zinsser Cover Stain!
I coated the whole piece with 2 light coats of primer!
I lightly sanded after priming to keep everything smooth and followed up with 2 coats of some extra paint we had from our living room ceiling while lightly sanding between coats. This was then followed up by 3 coats of Minwax's Water-Based Polycrylic Protective Finish.
I was left with a perfect stand that I will be using as a tall side table. It is just tall enough that my little guy can't reach up and swipe everything down from it! Plus it is nice and skinny which keeps my smaller living room from feeling too cluttered.
Once I finish re-decorating our living room on a thrifty budget I will have to post pictures of how all my new-old pieces look all put together! :)