Monday, July 9, 2012

A Vacation Complete With Thrifting

So we finally got away for a weekend . . . for the first time since we had our little guy! It had been much too long since we truly took some time for ourselves. I was a little nervous about how he would handle traveling but he was so easy-going that it turned out to be a really laid back weekend getaway. We loved it! I loved it the most because it was truly relaxing and full of thrifting! So of course, I had to hop on the blog to share my finds and the places we hit up . . . in case anyone else may be traveling to Wisconsin anytime soon!

First of all, we stay with family in the historic town of Portage, Wisconsin. In my opinion, I think this town has so much character. I truly love checking out all of the scenery . . . and I am a sucker for all of the beautiful homes here. http://ci.portage.wi.us/ 

We began our weekend by checking out their Goodwill store over at 2902 Village Road. I had a lot of luck here with their clothes and walked out with 2 skirts ($3.99 each) and a sleeveless top ($2.99). My husband also found a great scale for weighing postal items for just $1.99. Unfortunately, I did not have luck with any housewares here but, as always with thrifting, I am sure the stock turns over quickly. Who knows what a different trip might bring. 

Due to the over 100 degree temperatures, we decided to end thrifting early and head for the beach. The next  day would be our big thrifting day. 

We started our day on Saturday over at the Portage Flea Market (which is held the first Saturday of the month from June to October). It had a lot of truly unique items! I kind of wish I would have looked through here more closely. Prices were phenomenal! From there we headed over to the Princeton Flea Market (open every Saturday until October 13 . . . http://www.princetonwi.com/Section/Visitor_Information/Flea_Market.html). This flea market is HUGE! There are a lot of hand crafted items here as well as some unique finds. Prices are mixed through out. Unfortunately, we arrived later then we had hoped and a lot of vendors were packing up. All I ended up buying here were cheese curds and sausage. So we were back on the hunt for good bargains. 

Before leaving town we stopped at an amazing little thrift store called, Phabulous Phinds. It is located at 102 E. Main Street, right across from the Piggly Wiggly. This shop was sooo adorable! Very clean with great displays . . . this was where I began to have luck!



I scored these adorable artificial flowers for $4.50 a piece. I knew I couldn't make these for cheaper so I was quite happy with this find. These will be perfect on the mantle. 


I also found this adorable wicker umbrella for $2.79. I thought this would be perfect for holding some flowers as a door decoration!



I was also super excited to find some great items for my son's upcoming birthday party! Elmo cake toppers and some crayon birthday candles! I also found a top for myself and one for my husband while here. Again, this shop was just adorable! I highly recommend it.

From here we went on to Beaver Dam where we made a pit stop at their Goodwill (130 Frances Lane). This Goodwill was HUGE! I was so happy we had the time to look through everything. Once again I had great luck with clothes (I always seem to have luck at Goodwill)! My husband found a book and we found a sealed collection of Sesame Street board books which we picked up as a birthday gift for my little one (thank goodness he was happily napping while we shopped). 


I also found this great wall sconce which I am thinking will be painted in an off-white and distressed a bit. It will be perfect for over our television. (And for 99 cents there was really no questioning my decision). 


I also managed to find even more supplies for the upcoming birthday! And here I was cutting out Elmo heads before we left . . . this will save some time. 

This was all we really had time for on our weekend vacation but I truly hope to explore some more the next time we go for a visit. However, on the way home we did stop in Racine for the Seven Mile Fair. It was huge but there was definitely more merchandise stands then garage sale type stands (I prefer to find good old items so I was a bit disappointed). But we headed for the back of the flea market and found a few vendors with the garage sale set up!





I scored a few good finds while there though . . . not bad for $15.00, right? The bottom bucket I am hoping to use as a garden decoration. I will post my completed project once I finish it!   :)

Not bad for some vacation thrifting! Got any of your own tips on great flea markets or thrift stores? Please feel free to share your thoughts! 


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment